Here a quickie, since I’ve been silent for so long.
I find myself with a REST service taking way too long to process one of its queries, it’s not bad per se, but it will get bad when this query gets hit more often.
Memcached to the rescue.
I daily work with a DC power supply to run different boards and prototypes. One day, plugging in the power supply I realized there was a USB and a COM port!
It is not correct from a tinkerer’s to avoid this option. So this day ended up with a small Python program (also golang, but that’s a different story) to use this feature.
A common situation for us (people in the programming/computing/processing world) is that we don’t always work with the same tools as some of our non-tech peers.
Case in point, I received a big bunch of files in XLS/XLSX format, very big files, LibreOffice has trouble working with them. Since I want to perform quick processing on that data, and I already have scripts that process similar data in CSV, the simplest path is to transform those files to plain, ugly, useful CSV files.
Then again, there are 100 files, and I don’t feel like dancing around each one: opening, clicking save as, selecting CSV, telling LibreOffice that this is a semicolon separated CSV file … etc etc.
I was kind of bored while doing some work, and just past week we were discussing with a colleague about my vague-places project.
This project was forgotten in time, but today I’ve blown the dust away, recovered it, and updated the Europe DbPedia map.
Most of you won’t be interested in the full story. So here, see a set of results. If something picks your interest (like, why Portugal has almost no points) just keep reading 😀
The graphics were meshed together in a way that was easier to handle than multiple images. And well, now they have this nostalgic appeal. I can’t watch this without a smile.
As old as 10 years ago (already? :-O) A list apart published an amazing article on how to use this same idea to reduce the amount of browser petitions for images. That article is wonderful, but apart (hehe) from that, it urges people to think creatively!
Long story short, this is going to be a post on how to create a CSS sprite image and stylesheet with 100 lines of python.
The third (and probably last) post about this lovely Jenkins guy. It seems that people is right, lately I’m Jenkins man.
Most of what I do in Jenkins can be done with the Groovy Scripting language itself, usually via the Scriptler plugin to keep things organized.
I am a command line guy, and sometimes I just want to get a plain text file with the results for something, instead of firing up Jenkins, going to a build, checking the artifact or output.
In this post I’ll present how to combine a basic Groovy script, with a more in-depth analysis with a python script: